Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Catching my Breath before Grand Manan

I've spent the last couple of days dealing with paperwork and packing for my Grand Manan Island workshop. Now that the packing is done, I thought it would be good to catch my breath before we head out at dawn to catch the ferry.

We've had gorgeous, warm weather all week, and since the meteorological prospect for next week isn't so good, I wanted to take advantage of today's abundant sunshine -- and the lupine season!

Lupines are in full bloom now. My in-laws next door have a field on the ocean that is chock-a-block with them. I was afraid they'd be gone by the time I got back.

Because I didn't want to dirty my oil brushes, which are dry and packed up for the trip, I took out the pastels. Here's the result, a view of Friar's Head and the old weir stakes with the lupines in the foreground. Lupines have a deep color, but surprisingly, the value wasn't terribly different from the surrounding grass. The scene is pretty much as it was:

"Lupines and Weir Stakes"
8x10, pastel, en plein air


Now - off to pack the car. I won't post again until after the trip.