Saturday, March 3, 2012

Backlit Clouds


Backlit Clouds, 9x12, oil - $100 - contact Michael

As many of my students will tell you, I enjoy painting backlit subjects.  It seems like I'm always positioning myself so I'm looking into the sun with some nice rimlighting around a mountain.  (It makes for a nice tan.)  Sometimes, we get clouds in Sedona, and I like to paint those backlit, too.

Here's an example.  For this one, clearly it was the clouds that drew my eye.   They were incandescent and fiery around the edges.  I could almost feel the heat.

One thing I observed was the curious progression of warm-and-cool from the clouds nearly overhead to the ones on the horizon.  The ones closer by, and thus most overhead, had warm, shadowed interiors and a nimbus of cool light.  The farther away the clouds got, this reversed, so they had cool, shadowed interiors and a warmer nimbus.  This change in contrast of warm and cool quite striking and contributed to the sense of light and heat.

2 comments:

opie said...

Gorgeous backlit clouds!

And here is a bit of cloud trivia: in the days before radar, loran, &c, sailors on watch could tell if they were approaching land because the clouds over land have warmer bottoms than those over the sea.

Michael Chesley Johnson said...

Fascinating, Helen!

More Art & Painting Blogs