Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Plein Air Essentials - Video Course

I've located a new venue for my mini videos in the series Plein Air Essentials.  There have been some download issues with the videos through Lulu.com, so this new solution is ideal!  Basically, it has allowed me to create a course - complete with a manual and the videos.  At this point, I've created a course with a manual and five basic videos.  You can watch the videos as many times as you wish.

In the near future, I'll create a course supplement for oil painters and a course supplement for pastel painters.

So, you can check out the Plein Air Essentials course here.  Stay tuned for future courses!

Here is the promo video for it:


3 comments:

Viafox Daniela said...

I have purchased your videos on Lulu, but, just watching this Prepare for Plein Air video on this post, I notice you feature the French Easel which I have not purchased. In your collective posts on Plein Air Gear, you use different easels, including a modified tripod, and, the difficulty with setting up the beauport easel is also featured. Do you consider the french easel the best option for outdoors? I am happy to purchase the video to see how to set it up, I just want to make sure I buy the steadiest outdoor easel and hope you can enlighten me as to what you consider that to be.

Michael Chesley Johnson said...

I use a variety of different easels for different purposes. For general use, I like my tripod-mounted 9x12 Guerrilla Painter box. It's very stable in the wind, and the box itself is very sturdy. For painting in a larger format, I like to use either a French easel or the Beauport (or the better-made Take-it-easel from www.takeiteasel.com), which is a Gloucester-style easel. The Gloucester-style easel is easy to set up, absolutely stable in the wind, and can handle a canvas several feet wide or tall. The French easel can be a bit more finicky and is cumbersome to set up; screws get lost, need to be re-tightened, etc. But, it is a workhorse, if you get one of the better-made ones such as the Mabef. For both of these two (Gloucester and French), I take a separate paintbox for my paints. Hope this helps!

Daniela said...

Thank you so much, Michael.