on
pastel
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
**Authentically Human! Not Written by AI**
![]() |
| John Singer Sargent in the field. If it was a good enough field easel for Sargent, it's good enough for me. |
One question I get frequently from beginning plein air painters is: What should I buy for gear and materials? I thought I'd address this in my blog now, seeing that Christmas is only 91 days away, and perhaps we should start thinking of what to ask Santa.
Once upon a time, painters had little choice for field easels. A very simple one, basically made of three sticks bolted at the top to make a tripod, and with a fourth stick attached horizontally to make a shelf, was the only option. Completely functional, these are still on the market today. But who wants a VW Beetle when you can get a Cadillac Deville? Today there's a wide range of field easels to fit every need—including some needs you didn't even know you had.
As you browse through the catalog, here are some things to look for in a field easel:
As for types of field easels, here are three basic types:
There are many other versions. But you'll find that no solution is perfect. Try different options. You also might check out what your painting buddies use—chances are, they'll have a setup completely different than yours, and it might be better. By the way, athough I'm writing from the viewpoint of an oil painter, there are similar easels for other media.
Here's a short video of some boxes I own:
And what about materials? Take a very stripped-down version of whatever you use in the studio. The same basic concepts apply: lightness, simplicity and stability. Take two brushes rather than ten. Take a limited palette of three colors instead of a dozen. Take items that will stay securely in your work area without being knocked over by wind or an errant elbow.
Finally, take only the minium you need to accomplish your goal. For example, if I only want to make color studies, I'll take just a small bag with my gouache kit and work in my lap. You might have bigger goals, though—and I'll address those in my next post.