on
pastel
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
**Authentically Human! Not Written by AI**
![]() |
| Value sketches based on the below photo Sketches are about 3" on the longest side. Notice how these are not DRAWINGS but simple shapes fully blocked in with 4 values. |
Value sketches: Many of us plein air painters skip this step. I'm guilty of this, too. Like you, I'm eager to get right to the fun part, the painting. But in doing so, I'm missing out on a practice that will bring my painting closer to my initial vision. If I make a value sketch first, I'll end up with a more satisfying result.
What's the point in doing a value sketch? Well, a lot!
First, it helps me analyze the scene, simplifying it into a few simple shapes of a few values. This creates a map for the placement of shapes. Sure, I could try doing this right on the canvas, but most likely I'll end up having to rework the underpainting until I get the shapes and values right. The result is usually either a palimpsest of overlaid and confused intentions—or mud. I can't tell you how many times I've had to wipe the whole canvas.
Second, by making more than one value sketch, I can experiment with alternatives and find the best design. Perhaps a vertical orientation would be better than a horizontal one. Maybe a 1:3 ratio would suit a broad vista better than a 3:4. And what about shifting or compressing the value scale? Possibly I could end up with a stronger statement by making some of the lighter, shadowed areas just as dark as the darkest areas.
Finally, the value sketch acts as a warm-up exercise for the final painting. Going through the motions of working out shape and value gets my hand, eye and brain all working together, smoothing the effort I'll make later.
How do I make a value sketch? Here's how:
Some day, I'd like to teach a workshop that has students doing nothing more than value sketches. It would be a "value-added" experience!