Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Saturday, December 1, 2007

Eastport View, Wind Chill, 25 Degrees

Yesterday, the wind was gusting up to 30 mph giving a wind chill of 25 degrees (-4 C), and I almost chickened out. It's not a bad thing to chicken out, because we plein air painters can always find something to do indoors. But knowing that the next day was going to be even windier and colder, supposedly to be followed by a monster snowstorm later in the weekend, I decided to brave it.

Two things helped considerably. First was the theory that a pillow would help insulate my backside as I sat on the slats of the garden bench. Second was my wife's Mountain Guide Full-Flap Hat from L.L.Bean.

This item is not only well-insulated but also has Goretex to cut the wind. (Short story: This was to be my hat, but even a Large doesn't fit, so I gave it to Trina. She always said I have a big head. Now I have an X-Large on order. Some might think the classier Mad Bomber Hat might be more appropriate for this kind of painting, but I don't like the rabbit fur.)

I was comfortable in the 30 minutes I sat to paint this piece - even though the wind was not only whipping up whitecaps but also knocking my paintbox about.

'Eastport View, Wind Chill, 25 Degrees'
5x7, oil, en plein air - SOLD