Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Sunday, July 8, 2018

Gamblin - Navigating Color Space

In my plein air painting workshops, we spend a couple of days talking about color and color mixing.  Two days really isn't enough time!  As primarily a landscape painter, I've spent the last 20 years focusing mostly on just one of color's attributes, temperature, which I consider to be essential to understanding how to capture the feeling of light.  So, to help my students learn a little more about color in our limited time together, I often suggest that they go to the Gamblin web site and watch the following video, "Navigating Color Space."  It gives them a jump-start on our discussions.

In this video, Robert Gamblin lays out clearly how color works in what he calls "color space."  You may be familiar with the color wheel.  "Color space" adds a third dimension to the wheel, so it becomes more of a cylinder.  Hue, value and chroma are fully represented in it.  (I consider that color has a fourth attribute, temperature, and Gamblin addresses this in the video, considering it more a quality of hue rather than being a separate attribute.)  I recommend this 20-minute video to everyone.

If you don't see the video below, here is the link:  https://www.gamblincolors.com/navigating-color-space/